Welcome to The Pipes Magazine Radio Show Episode 446! Our featured interview tonight is with Rick Newcombe. Rick is a well-known author of several pipe books, and a prominent collector of Danish pipes, and vintage tobaccos. He has traveled the world visiting pipe makers, and learning their different techniques. He is also the founder and chairman of Creators Syndicate, which currently represents more than 200 writers and artists. This show is our third in Volume II in our series of “Seven Questions for Seven Experts”. Over the course of seven weeks, we will ask seven prominent pipe collectors the same seven pipe related questions, and see how their answers compare. At the top of the show, for our pipe parts segment, Brian will have a tobacco review comparing an old version, and a new version of Capstan Blue. Sit back, relax with your pipe, and enjoy The Pipes Magazine Radio Show!
Use our player above – or – Choose one of the Apps below.
Seven Questions for Seven Experts
1. If you could only cellar 100 tins, would you prefer to have 100 tins of one blend, 50 tins each of two blends, 25 tins each of four blends, or ten tins each of ten blends?
2. What would those blends be?
3. What is the oldest tobacco you have smoked, and how was your experience with it?
4. How has your preference in pipes changed over time?
5. What is the pipe you own that has the most sentimental value, and why?
6. How does situation affect your pipe and tobacco choice, like outdoor versus indoor, morning versus evening, on the go or in a chair?
7. Which famous pipe smoker from the past would you like to share a bowl with? It has to be someone you’ve never met.
The Pipes Magazine Radio Show features interviews with pipe makers, tobacco blenders, pipe and tobacco aficionados, collectors, and more. Episodes air every Tuesday.
We hope you enjoy our 1-hour show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector.
Rick Newcombe Interview